- Come & Play
- Shop & Dine
- Relax & Sleep
- Fix & Fuel
- Visitor Centre
- About AdvantageHOPE
Hope's First Nations settlement period starts with the first traces of people living in the Fraser Valley. These first nation origins date from 8,000 to 10,000 years ago, when the Sto:lo First Nations were in the area. An important Sto:lo community was located where the District of Hope sits today. The community, called Ts'qo:ls, was a major population and transportation hub, home to thousands of people and an essential stopping point for trade between nearby communities. In late 1782 a smallpox epidemic among the Stó:lo killed thousands or an estimated two thirds of the population.
An interesting document by Devon Drury of University of Victoria on First Nations spirituality and history can be found here.
First Nations tribal groups in or near the Hope area include:
The European settlement period of Hope history begins in 1808. Explorer Simon Fraser arrived in what is now Hope in 1808, and the Hudson's Bay Company created the Fort Hope trading post in 1848. The area was transformed by the Fraser Canyon Gold Rush, beginning in 1858. The following year Governor James Douglas laid out the Fort Hope townsite. Hope became part of the Colony of British Columbia when the new British colony was created on 2 August 1858. Along with the rest of British Columbia, Hope became part of Canada in 1871. Late in 1859, Reverend Alexander St. David Francis Pringle arrived in Hope. On December 1 of that year, he founded the first library on the British Columbia mainland. Within two years, he founded Christ Church (Anglican). Today, Christ Church is the oldest church on the B.C. mainland still holding services on its original site and is a National Historic Site of Canada. Hope incorporated as a Village on 6 April 1929, became a Town on 1 January 1965, and was reincorporated as a District Municipality named the District of Hope on 7 December 1992.