Starting a business can be a daunting task, but knowing what questions to ask in order to navigate the process should not be a mystery. As such, we have compiled a list of questions to get the conversation started with the District of Hope Planning and Development Department. The questions are also available for pdf download here.
Site selection and site specific questions / considerations
- Is the property zoned correctly for my intended use?
- What is entailed in the re-zoning process?
- Will I require a development permit?
- Do I require permits to alter the site (e.g. cutting trees)?
- Are there form and character rules if I build or renovate?
- Is there adequate servicing to the site?
- What are the municipal and/or provincial guidelines surrounding access, traffic, parking, and signage at the proposed site?
- Are the trucking routes to the site adequate?
- Do I qualify for the Revitalization Tax Exemption Program?
- What are the development cost charges?
- Are there any other jurisdictions that need to be considered (e.g. Department of Fisheries and Oceans, etc…)
Operational questions / considerations
- What is the cost, process, and timeline for getting a business license?
- Do I qualify for a Mobile Business License? And would that be beneficial for my business?
- What are garbage/water/sewer rates at my proposed location? Are water and sewer metered or unmetered?
- What are the property taxes on the parcel?
- Who is responsible for clearing sidewalks? Is the street in front of the proposed parcel a priority for snow plowing?
- What are the good neighbor bylaws and how do they apply to me?