Hope, BC is a community with a storied history. For nearly ten thousand years, the Sto:lo community of Ts’qo:ls sat where the district of Hope is located today. It was a major population and transportation hub, home to thousands of people and an essential stopping point for trade between nearby communities.
Simon Fraser traversed the area during his 1808 expedition on the Fraser River, guided by local First Nations people who shared their centuries of knowledge and made the dangerous voyage possible. In 1848, Fort Hope was established by the Hudson’s Bay Company– the “best hope” to establish a connection between existing forts in Langely and Kamloops. The Fraser Canyon Gold Rush of 1858 attracted a variety of settlers, including many Americans, Europeans, and Chinese, and further expanded Hope’s population.
Hope was incorporated as a village in 1929, as a town in 1965, and was reincorporated as a district municipality in 1992. Today it continues to be an important transportation center for travel to and from the Pacific Coast and is a popular destination for outdoor enthusiasts.
The Hope Museum archives the history of our community. Helen Kennedy is the head curator, and can be contacted using the form in the sidebar.